That shit tray

ok so assignment 1 - meh pretty easy
assignment 2 - ok need minimal coordination to get this done
assignment 3 - wtf

Tray was so much more tough

 ...you'll see why

40mm

So we initially tried 40mm, as we had heard on the grape vine that 30mm was near impossible. 
40 wasn't too far off .... 



The radius of the corner was just too tight for the metal not to fold in on itself, which inevitably happened. We attempted the 40mm a few times, but after failing a few times, we called our losses and decided to move up a notch to 50mm.


50mm

Day 2
back in the workshop and we had our 50mm blocks ready to go. 
I noticed that even though the blocks of wood were fixed to the vice, the blocks of wood would move at each hammer strike. So I added a second clamp to fix the blocks of wood together for more support. This resulted in a sharper finish for the edges. 


This time i was even more careful not to get folds but ... still got a few. 
When I thought it was all over and I would need to start again, I used the tin snips to cut a little chunk off the fold and was lucky enough to get the fold out! (Before - left) (After - right)



Once that was done, it was just minor smoothing to be completed. Here's mine next to Lornia's tray. 


CNC Milling

So I'd like to say I'm done, however I would still like to have a go with the 30mm dimension which no one did to my knowledge. So I've created a male and female mould which I hope will aid me in making a thinner tray. Uploaded are the pics of the CAD drawings ready for CNC milling. 
Spoke to Gabe, and he got me in touch with someone from MCIC. 


FIN

Comments

Popular Posts