Reflection

I looked up reflective essay in google...this came up


A reflective essay is an essay in which the writer examines his or her experiences in life" 
- study.com

fuarkkk. 


Industrial Design

In all seriousness though, I really did learn a lot from this course compared to the other courses I've taken in the past. I've been studying Industrial Design at UNSW since 2014 and have taken many hands on subjects + theory based subjects. But I've never had a course which brings the two in so seamlessly with direct application between one another. 

Working with your hands in the field of Industrial Design is a dying skill. With large focus on auto cad and rapid prototyping using 3D printers, the use of crafting metal or wood has decreased and personally I feel there is a disconnect between the end product and the designer. At no time did I feel like I didn’t have guidance or another method of going about shaping my metal, which just led to further and further exploration. 


POV

This course definitely changed my point of view
Whenever I need to conceptualise a design - I always always ALWAYS think about manufacturing. Regardless of how innovative I want to be, how different, I still find my brain still thinking at the end of the day “well how is this made”. That may seem fine, however the problem is, is that this obviously stiffens creativity and focus’s the concepts into a very narrow stream of possibilities, leading to very uninteresting designs and concepts “oh an extrusion … how exciting”. 

Shaping the metal with your hands and not having to think about over hangs and draft angles felt really good, and it allowed guy brain to think in different ways that I wouldn’t have before.

This almost feels like I can speak a new language of Design. 

I definitely appreciate the work of panel beaters and car designers much more than I did before. 


That tray …

As an example - the tray we needed to make was an incredibly simple design to make … on CAD.  And I mean that’s where the disconnect is. Mocking that exact tray in Solidworks would not take more than 5 minutes, but actually going in and defining those Radii with your hands gives you whole new level of appreciation for the art. 
And I did mock it up in solid works. Know why?


Because Industrial Design Tauqir kicked back into full force and he though he could make a male and female mould for the tray and press the sheet metal together to form a perfect tray. Doing that proved harder than I thought as it would require some time to mill and time we did not have. 


Comments

Popular Posts